Top Ten Tips
How to stand out from the crowd and get that dream job:
- Think carefully about what attracts you to the Retail Fashion Industry.
- Be clear which function you are interested in - for example, the skills needed to be a Buyer are very different to those needed to be a Merchandiser.
- Ensure your work experience, qualifications and skills support your application for the specific function.
- Review your skills and experiences - are they relevant to the job you are applying for? Do they demonstrate team leadership, organisational skills etc?
- Research the company and understand its profile, structure, brands, product and customer profile. Company websites will provide you with all the information you need.
- Visit several of the company's stores and think about what they are trying to convey in terms of trends and image.
- Have a passion for fashion! Make sure you know the latest trends, the inspiration behind these and how they have been translated on the high street.
- Always spell check online application forms. If you are submitting a hand written form, get a friend to check your grammar and spelling.
- When you are invited for an interview, confirm your attendance and check out the dress code. Arrive at the venue at least 15 mins early but only present yourself 5 - 10 mins before you are expected.
- Be honest with yourself and your employer in terms of mobility, salary etc - don't wait until you have been offered a position to say what you really want or are prepared to do.